6.14.2008

Report Cards

As a kid, I had such anxiety when report card day approached. It gave me twinges in my gut because I always had a feeling something would be terribly wrong. Usually, for me, it was in the "deportment" category... And when I'd get that card & find the teacher had written a "D" or an "F" in something, I knew that meant more grief when Mom & Dad saw it.

As a parent, I still get a bit twingy when report cards are sent home with my 2 sons. Except this time I don't have the anxiety... Instead, I get all weepy-eyed. When I see the progress they make & then read the comments from the teacher, it's hard to keep the lump down in my throat.

And especially as I go over each grade individually with each son, I have to put forth a lot of effort to keep my voice from cracking as I explain to them what the "adult terms" on their 2-3 page report card mean. Especially when they are given exceptional marks for things like "Exhibits Kindness" or "Looks out for others' needs".

There are areas where my boys need improvement (like their dad did), such as in "Handwriting", "Math", or in "Follows directions". But what really makes me swell up with joy overflowing is when they get the top grade for areas like politeness, generosity, sportsmanship, sharing, seeks the best in others, grateful attitude, truthfullness, respcts others, & the like. You may not be the best speller, but if you are respected by others & treat others with respect, that is what matters.

The longest-serving host of Meet The Press, the longest-running news program in the history of television, Tim Russert, died yesterday (2 days before Fathers Day). As I watched all of the news coverage of this man's legacy as a broadcaster, a father, & an individual, my oldest son was questioning what was happening. Again, fighting back emotions as I thought of his report card he got in the mail yesterday, I explained that this man had a reputation that was good -- honest, admirable, envied, and respected. And this is how everyone felt about him because of not how smart he was (even though he did have a law degree), but because of the way he treated others.

To not just know all the answers but to know good character. That is the essence of the report card that life hands you.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger