6.08.2008

In Good Company

Since becoming involved in my new church, this has helped to bring some distraction to what is going on around me. I've been asked to more or less be the web administrator for the church's website & I've also started helping edit & compile a weekly prayer list that is emailed to members. But I've also seen how the people there have taken an active interest in my life & the concerns of my family. They have all reached out in some way or another. Just this past Saturday, at the church's monthly Men's Breakfast - as I greeted one of the guys - I felt crumpled paper pressed inside my palm as I shook the guy's hand. He had passed on a $20 bill saying how he felt led to bless us with some financial support.

Now I've been given money by concerned friends before, so this didn't really shake me up. I was certainly more than grateful for the surprise. What really made an impact was when he went on to say (as his voice quivered with emotion) how when he considered the distance I live from the church (27 miles) & our current situation (with our increasing expenses & static income) how much it blessed him to see me at events like the men's breakfast -- even while I faced the trials that has been going on recently in my life.

I'm an encourager by nature. I can never grow tired of encouraging another person in matters of the spiritual or emotional or whatever. So when I saw the impact of how my presence encouraged this fellow Believer, that was what really caused the twinge in my gut as he went on to share a little of his life story how God brought him through a tight financial situation he & his family faced.

But others have, too, freely given their encouragement to me as I wade through the slime of uncertainty. I've gotten dozens of emails, messages on my Facebook page, & other comments that have given me a good reminder that God still has things under control.

Picking up the boys, after their last day of school, from another parent's home (who volunteered to keep our kids until I got off work to save us from having to pay for daycare), I told the mom (who is a very vocal & passionate Assembly of God Believer) about our current situation as we followed the kids (hers & mine) across an open field so that they could have a quick float down Spring Creek before I took my boys home. Suddenly about half-way across this football field-sized meadow (surrounded by houses), she thrusts out her arm & grabs my shoulder & says, "Let's just pray right now!" So, as we walked along, she began praying loud enough for not only God but all of the neighbors to hear.

Feeling about as anxious as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs, I just walked along & tried to look spiritual.

God love her. I know she really means well. And it did bless me that she felt so spontaneous. I guess sometimes, God chooses to shine upon us even if it does look conspicuous.

It's so good to know I'm in such good company.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger