12.01.2009

In Perspective

I had a really great time taking my boys to our family's 49th annual Leslie Reunion in Arkansas this past Thanksgiving.  And we made it the whole 3,047 miles with no trouble at all in a car that rolled past 150,000 miles!  However as we were on our last "leg" of the trip, I began to hear sounds that told me some extensive break/rotor work was in store.

We got home & sure enough, the sounds got more noticeable to the point that I realized I could not go another day without getting this looked at unless I wanted to have some major automotive work done.  After hanging around the State College Firestone from 1:30-5:45pm on the last day of the month...a day that everyone was trying to get in for their last minute state inspections...I found out what I already knew.  I would need a brake/rotor replacement...to the tune of over $300.  That was the least they recommended.  I also need a brake flush & front-end allignment ($68 each) & some tires.

The good news:  Well, I did get in for repairs on a crazy day like it was, I used a $50 off ad & got another $20 off that because we qualified for a Firestone credit card (Oh, joy...another one).  But that got us 90 days of interest-free credit (so we could spread our payments out at just $90 over the 3 months...provided we could come up with the $90 somewhere).  So we made out with owing only $266.

But how many cars can one say they've been able to drive on an 8-day, 3,000+ mile road trip that has over 100,000 miles...with no transmission trouble, electrical trouble, engine trouble, alternator trouble....etc.?  And what price do you put on being able to reconnect with the only family you have that just happens to live over 1,500 miles away from you...and pass on a family tradition to your children?

I guess your answer depends on your perspective.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger